Re: [SLUG] GGRRR (not really linux related)

From: Glen Canaday (tuck@acer-access.com)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 20:10:06 EDT

> A word of caution here. When people like Digital Research coded DRDOS,
> they did it in a "clean room" environment, so that no one could accuse
> them of copying code. They didn't have access to the source for MSDOS,
> and could only go by the published APIs and whatever research they could
> do. In your case, having seen the source code, if you should code a
> replacement program like this, you're painting a target on yourself for
> hungry litigators and vengeful software companies.
>
> But you already knew that, right?
>
> Paul

Yeah, I knew that. In the NDA was a clause that any work I did on it belonged
to the company. I assumed this anyway, but I had to sign it to keep yon
lawyer happy. If I ported, it would be at the company's discretion whether it
was offered for sale. But, I would have done my part to try to fill one of
the last remaining holds Windows has in this type of environment. It would
also still cost the thousand dollars, but in my book it would be well spent -
the vast majority of potential customers are accustomed to paying upwards of
10 grand for such an app under windows. So I figure it should be well worth
the effort if I can do it :)

        Glen