Re: [SLUG] Dual-boot laptop

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 07:59:52 EDT

On Thursday 26 June 2003 02:45, Steven Buehler wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 23:36, jeff wrote:
> > Bradley Brown wrote:
> > >---snipped-----
> > > Is there any particular distro that is geared more towards the laptop?
> >
> > 2) Mandrake seems to be about equal (good hardware detection,
> > multiple installation choices) but takes longer to install.
>
> Have to agree; after trying RedHat, Mandrake, and Debian, I stuck with
> Mandrake 9.1. In fact, that's the distro I've stuck with on all of my
> systems. Only downside: RedHat has a lot more support for DocBook than
> Mandrake (I use DocBook for some of my documentation projects).

Personally I have tried SuSE, RH, and Mandrake on my Thinkpad.

Currently I have Mandrake on it principally because that is the distribution
of choice of the Thinkpad users group. Almost no one appears to be using RH.

That being said there are several major drawback with Mandrake.

1. Mandrake went bankrupt in France. This may have a negative impact on
distributions after 9.1.

2. Mandrake is not cutting edge nor compatable to RH. Cutting edge implies
Mandrake is not up to SuSE's standards and the compatability issue comes into
play with RPM's which are not made by Mandrake.

3. Purchase of a box distribution does not give one access to the Mandrake
Club. That you have to purchase separately. So box set Mandrake plus Mandrake
club is more costly than RH or SuSE.
Mandrake club gives one access to the RPM mentioned in 2.

4. Mandrake is currently using a different partitioning system than RH and
SuSE. What that is I will leave to people more knowledgable than I but I do
know if I have Mandrake installed and attempt to install SuSE or RH I have to
start by repartitioning the HD since SuSE nor RH recognizes the Mandrake
partitions. I know believe me I know on this one.

As a personal note I believe I would start by finding a users group for the
laptop you desire to place Linux on and see what special issues exist for
that particular piece of equipment.

One thing you need to realize is that a laptop can be a much more difficult
than installation than a generatic desktop using name brand components.

Frank