Re: [SLUG] Lindows?

From: Travis R. Birt (travis@databasepro.net)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 10:30:24 EDT

  I have been a Lindows "Insider" since you could join Lindows. As far
as ease of use,
if they were to sign up with CNR, Lindows can not be beat. It makes it
a matter of a
single click to install any software in the CNR warehouse. Want some
software that
is not in the warehouse? All you have to do is request it, eventually,
it will show up.
Want some help getting something working? Lindows has a great community
to do
that too. They also have a nice resellers program set up. Another
wonderful thing
about Lindows is, because they do a redetect of hardware on startup, you
could install
Lindows to a hard drive, and drop it in which ever system the person
wants and it
will take off and work.
  End Lindows Commercial. Now for the bad stuff. One of Lindows goals
was to
get a short easy install, what they did to do that was rip out a lot of
the things that
makes Linux so flexible. Compilers and such are some of the things you
will not
find in Lindows Retail Edition. There is nothing extra in most of the
Editions. I
think that is one of the bad things. As an insider, I use the
"Developers Edition".
This comes with all the things ripped out of most versions of Lindows.
I don't
like the fact they have separate versions, but hey, it is their choice.
They do have
all of the things ripped out in the CNR warehouse you can install, but
you have
to be a member to do that.
  Also, because of the redetect on hardware every boot, it boots a
little slow. They
are looking at fixing that in 5.0, which should be out in a few months.
They are also
behind on the versions of things they are running right now. They will
probably catch
up with the release of 5.0 though. Another draw back is that it has
fairly high minimum
requirements. I guess that came with all the fancy graphics and stuff
to make it
easier.
  I am not sure that Lindows(now Linspire by the way) would be right for
everyone,
but as far as an easy to use Linux, I am pretty sure that it can not be
beat. CNR
makes life so easy on software install, my 80 year old Grandmother who
has never
touched a computer could handle it easily. It is just looking through
the CNR
warehouse, find what you want, and hit the install button.An icon will
be placed
on the desktop for you to run it. That easy. If you would like any
other information
about it, let me know. Or if you would like to see more of it, I can
demonstrate any
of it for you as most of my computers now run Lindows/Linspire.
Travis