Re: [SLUG] Router losing cable modem IP

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 18:13:43 EDT

I, too, am on RR, and I'm also having connectivity problems. I think mine are somewhat different, however.

I'm running from an SMC Barricade four-port hardline (as opposed to wireless) router. Rather than the thing locking up or otherwise ceasing to be useful entirely, I get a hiccup in traffic between my network and the Internet that is just sufficient to cause all IM connections to drop and to crash any downloads (so that I have to start over if I'm not using some kind of advanced download manager with resume capability). This problem doesn't affect the internal network at all, and my router is set to refresh IP addresses once a week (under DHCP). Obviously, RoadRunner isn't going to be assigning me a new IP address every three hours, which is about the average amount of time between network hiccups, and the hiccups don't even happen like clockwork -- three hours is just an average.

Does anyone out there have a specific idea of what that symptomology indicates? It would be nice to know whether or not it's going to cost me any money, what kind of time I need to set aside for a technician if it becomes necessary to call one out here, and whether I might be able to solve the problem myself without spending money I wouldn't otherwise have to.