Re: [SLUG] Road Runner Garbage

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 01:33:08 EDT

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 00:28:14 -0400, bpreece1 <bpreece1@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

> I don't know if I am the only one that uses NewsGroups

You're not.

> but for years Road Runner has always been garbage.

ISPs' NNTP servers often are. From a business standpoint, not many
customers
jump ship for a better news server.

> Now they claim that they should have between 5 to 7 days how ever it is
> less then 1 day.

I run my own news server (INND). It was a fair amount of work to set up,
but once it's going (with 90-day retention and ~40 non-binary groups in
<300 MB) it's hardly any work at all.

If you do that, you should look into using a free newsfeed as backup, to
supply those articles RR doesn't have.

Or, you can buy an account on a commercial news server; <$30/yr FWIU.

> Also Earthlink on their support says that newsgroups can not be remotely
> accessed from another network? How ever with a Verizons DSL connection no
> problem. On NewBrightOuthouse, it comes up as a non trusted network. Now
> then weird thing is that Bright Outhouse offers Earthlink yet they are
> not
> trusted?

Hmm. 'Not trusted' sounds like that client's description. I know of
nothing in NNRP or NNTP that indicates trust.

> Now for the real crap if you call their support they say there is nothing
> showing any problems?

It sounds like, as long as the news server doles out articles on request
and its disks aren't full, it's OK. Never mind that it misses articles.
Maybe they ought to add some more (computational) sensors.

> OBTW if you post in any of the Road Runner NNTP groups about problems
> they will call you. So much for being able to communicate to others to
> let them know.

Do you mean just the roadrunner.* groups, or those like
alt.online-services.roadrunner?

--
PISCES:  Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
You are the Lord of the Dance, no matter what those idiots at